Granite is a brilliant material for countertops, no wonder so many people have it in their homes. I just recently installed some in my own home; the process definitely taught me a few lessons about home care and the power of granite.
Here’s one thing I learned: Granite looks very strong and sturdy, but it needs special care to prevent cracks and eventual wear and tear.
I’ve got a few tips for you today to keep your granite strong and beautiful, while keeping you sane and happy.
1. You can purchase special granite counter cleaners, but it’s not necessary. I like this one, for the scent (smells like fresh-baked cookies). Keep your wallet heavy, while your granite stays healthy.
2. Make sure your granite countertops are sealed (test it first).
3. Use warm water with dish soap to gently wipe down your countertops daily. This will disinfect them as well. It’s the safest way to keep them clean and germ-free. Always dry the countertops after you wipe them down.
4. If you’re worried about really disinfecting them, you can use a solution of half water and half isopropyl alcohol.
How does that sound? Easy enough, right? Here’s another thing to remember, it’s okay if you accidentally get a little windex, or other cleaner, on your countertop. Just don’t use it frequently, and avoid it for daily cleaning.
Here are some major don’ts for granite countertops:
1. Don’t use any abrasive cleaners or sponges
2. Don’t put a lot of weight on the granite slab in areas that are between studs (cause for cracks!)
3. Don’t use harsh chemicals like ammonia, bleach, or even lemon-based products and vinegar-based products. Again, once in a while is okay, but don’t make it a habit.
I’ve found the warm water and dish soap technique to be effective and safe for granite and most other types of countertops. It’s important to me to not only clean and disinfect effectively, but to keep the integrity of the material being cleaned. Once in a while I use a granite cleaner to restore some shine to the granite, but that’s it!
Do you have any questions about granite cleaning? Send them my way!
If you’re worried about wearing down your beautiful granite countertops, let me do the safe cleaning for you! Sign up now for a free estimate and I’ll come take a look.